KOTLER ICE ARENA 1.3M CAPITAL CAMPAIGN
From inception the vision for the Kotler Ice Arena (KIA) has been a year-round rec-center for the Teton Valley community. The long range plan was to design an indoor facility that could offer ice at least five months a year and become a multi-use amenity to host activities like concerts, expos, indoor athletic leagues, a fitness center, and even a pool in the future. This strategy would require extensive fundraising, a significant increase in resources for operations and isn’t necessary to meet the current needs of the community.
While opportunity still exists to execute the original vision of an enclosed facility, the Teton Valley Foundation has shifted our short-term strategic focus to expand the KIA to a reliable, highly functional, quality outdoor ice arena that meets the current and future needs of the community for family friendly, affordable winter recreation and hockey tournaments. We expect that the rink would remain an outdoor facility for at least a decade or more.
After our warmest winter in history, the acquisition of a cooling system has become essential. Historically our ice seasons last 8-10 weeks. In 2015 we had ice for four weeks. During our limited 2015 season the rink accommodated 1200 user-days/week. TVF programs include youth hockey; adult hockey; community public skating, figure skating, and school winter sports programs that provide subsidized winter recreation for local children. This year we started a new scholarship program as well.
PRIORITY 1: RELIABLE ICE TO MEET COMMUNITY NEEDS AND HOST TOURNAMENTS
PRIORITY 2: INCREASE FUNCTIONALITY OF KIA TO ACCOMMODATE GROWING PROGRAMS
- Develop in a fiscally responsible, forward-thinking manner by investing in reliable equipment
- Execute construction and design that minimizes retroactive expense with any future modifications
- Construct new elements to meet current code standards
- Meet immediate needs of the community while considering long-range potential by prioritizing funds for a cooling system to create consistent ice.
- Re-prioritize construction of the rink as an open-air facility instead of an enclosed amenity
- Prioritize construction that has a direct impact on the economy including reliable ice and locker rooms that can better accommodate tournaments
- Total value: $450,000
- 184 foot outdoor covered rink (a full regulation rink is 200ft)
- Zamboni storage room with Zamboni
- Warming hut with one bathroom, rental shop and benches
- Temporary shipping container as a locker and storage room
- Rink boards with upper fencing for safety
- Soon-to-be Locker Room Shell (construction scheduled for Summer 2015)
1.3M CAPITAL CAMPAIGN: A TWO-PHASED STRATEGY
PHASE ONE: ($579,000) COOLING SYSTEM AND TOURNAMENT FUNCTIONALITY
Our immediate goal is to fund a new surface cooling unit that includes both piping and chillers, and extending the ice rink to a regulation length of 200 feet. The rink extension is necessary so we can purchase a regulation length cooling mat and bury its operating components at the head of the rink in the correct location. In the short term this unit would sit on top of a new crusher run. Phase One also includes decking and shells for two additional locker room shells that would allow us to effectively host hockey tournaments. Our hope is to raise at least ¾ of these funds (if not all) in time for the 2015/16 season in order to install the cooling system.
PHASE TWO: ($746,000) COMPLETION OF OUTDOOR KOTLER ICE ARENA
After installing a cooling system, our next goal is to construct features that increase the efficiency and usability of the KIA for local residents and tournament participants. Elements include finished locker rooms to host bigger tournaments; a concrete slab to provide a summer-use surface; bleachers; additional bathrooms to meet code; an expanded warming hut; a mechanical room; and a more efficient location for the Zamboni room
We have a big vision for Kotler Arena, but we need your help to make it a reality. We’ll share our vision with you here. Please contact us if you have any questions, or to become a Kotler Arena sponsor.